Pages

Under the Sea with the Xi's -- Bid Day 2014!

Wednesday, January 29, 2014


Bid day always makes the top of every sorority girl’s favorite memory through her experience at Ohio State as she finds her new home away from home and new, lifelong sisters! This year Alpha Xi Delta wanted to make this day as special and fun as it possibly could be. Our theme was “Under the Sea with the Xi’s” with full out decorations including balloons mimicking jellyfish on our ceilings, blue streamers, a blue wooden frame to take pictures in, vase center pieces with sand, and signs in the shape of sea creatures with all our new sisters names! At 4p.m. all the new sorority women opened their bid day cards at the Ohio Union; we anxiously waited, screaming chants, holding our sea creature posters, and blasting music. Before we knew it, a sea of women came sprinting near the Wexner Center onto 15th Avenue. Soon after, our seniors holding our letters came running up to the house, followed by all our 52 beautiful new sisters! 



As all the new women of Alpha Xi Delta filed in to our living room, sitting on our big comfy couch, the active sisters continued chanting with excitement! It was so rewarding and exciting seeing all these new smiling faces in our home. After a group picture was taken of our new sisters, quill sisters and rose sisters united where gift baskets were presented, filled with a lanyard, picture frame, and cup…all Alpha Xi Delta inspired of course! Through out the afternoon we ate pizza, cupcakes, and candy, along with taking numerous photos in the giant blue wooden picture frame. 


Liz, Sasha & Amanda

At 6p.m., the sisters ventured to the Candle Lab in the Short North. Girls had such a great time creating their own scents for candles along with getting to know each other.


Hear what a few of our new sisters said about bid day:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hannah A. : “When they told us to open our bid cards, I prayed I would be joining the sisters of Alpha Xi Delta. I felt the most magical connection with the AXiD girls during recruitment. When I opened the card, I FLEW to the door of the Union to my new home. This is one moment I will always remember. Getting to the house and FLYING into the girls’ arms felt so real. This will definitely be the best decision of my college career. I am so excited for the memories to come with my new sisters that I adore so much.”

Hannah C. : “Bid day was by far one of the most exciting days for me at Ohio State. I was so excited to be joined by such a welcoming sisterhood and discover my pledge class, who I will be friends with until and beyond graduation. Going candle making helped me further get to know my quill sister as well as the older girls and girls in my pledge class. When I opened by bid day card I was hoping to see three Greek letters…and when I did, I was overjoyed.”

Katie G. : “During bid day, the Rho Gams revealed themselves and it was really fun to see what my Rho Gams were in. Finally, they began handing out the bids and they made us sit on them. They began a countdown and we all opened our bid cards at the same time! It was really exciting because everyone was super happy with their houses and hugging each other. We all ran downstairs out to the patio facing the Union and groups from all the sororities were there waiting holding their letters. It was a bit overwhelming but so cool to see all the sororities together at the same time. It was kind of crazy that we all ran down 15th together, especially how all the fraternities were outside cheering, too. Once I got to the house, all the girls were holding signs with our names on it, and I found Kayla with mine. They welcomed us and it was awesome because everyone was dressed for the ‘Under the Sea’ theme. I am very happy I picked where I did. We hung out and some fraternities came by with flowers, welcoming us. We all had to learn how to ‘throw what we know’, too! Eventually we all left together to go to The Candle Lab in the Short North. It was neat because we got to smell different scents with our quill sisters and new sisters and then make our own candle with our favorite scents. It was a great experience and The Candle Lab was a fun and easy way to get to know a lot of my new sisters!”

Haley G. : “When I opened my letter and saw that it was AXiD I was so excited…I teared up. After leaving preference round, I knew that it was for me. Shortly after I opened my bid card I found out that one of my best friends Gabi was also now in AXiD so I was all over the moon about it! The Candle Lab was such a fun experience because we got to be crafty and bond with all the new girls.”

Alexis M. : “I only put Alpha Xi down, so I knew where my new home would be but it was cool seeing everyone else open theirs! Bid day was very exciting and super fun. Everyone was so nice and it was a good environment to be involved in. All my new sisters had so much energy, and I especially enjoyed the photo booth! The Candle Lab was a little crowded but I am so happy we were able to go there because it smelled amazing and was a perfect activity to get to know the girls.”

Ellie W. : “Bid day was terrifying in the morning! I was so nervous to figure out where I would be placed. It was sweet that things were coming to a close, but it was also sad that the whole rush period was coming to an end! Coming back to the Alpha Xi Delta house, seeing all the girls, was so exciting! I had been to the house before, but now they were my sisters so it was a completely different feeling. The Candle Lab was a sweet idea! I talked to all the other girls about their bid day experience and they were all jealous we got to make candles. It was something different, and it was something I would want to do again!”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alpha Xi Delta is truly blessed by the presence of all our new sisters, and we cannot wait to continue memories not for four years, but for life! 


New Member Class of 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment